Wednesday, August 24, 2011

My First Attempt at Eggplant Parm - Really!

I was truly fortunate enough to be given a fabulous bottle of homemade sauce and co-incidentally, at the same time, big round purple eggplant made it's way into my kitchen courtesy of the farm that supplies my weekly veggies.  What to do...?  

Well, this non-Italian cook decided to make Eggplant Parm! 

Let me be clear, I'm no expert at this, I have never made it before and have not ordered it off the menu too many times - in fact, it has to be said that I have always considered eggplant to be a mushy veg that is great in Ratatouille, but otherwise... well, let's just say I never gave it the credit that I know so many of you do.

Well, my first attempt was delicious, to my surprise!  Here's what I did.  I am sure much of the deliciousness was thanks to the fabulous sauce - I hope you enjoy it too:

     ~ Heat the oven to 425 Deg.
* 9 slices of eggplant about 1/2" thick 
     ~ Salted and left to stand in the colander for about 20 minutes, rinced and dried with paper towel
* 1/2 C Italian breadcrumbs
* 1 egg, whisked with salt and pepper
     ~ Coat the eggplant slices with seasoned egg and sparsely with breadcrumbs on both sides
     ~ Spray a cookie sheet with Pam or olive oil spray and bake the slices for 15-18 minutes.  Turn over and sprinkle
* 1 TBSP of grated Parmesan cheese on each slice. 
     ~ Replace in the oven and cook for a further 10 minutes.  Remove from the oven and then reduce the temp to 375 deg.

     ~ In the meantime; take
* a generous cupful of frozen green beans and
* 1 C frozen cooked bell pepper strips
     ~ Place them in the colander and run under warm water to thaw. 
     ~ Spray a shallow casserole dish with Pam or olive oil spray and begin with a layer of
* 3/4 C home-made or bottled pasta sauce, then
* the layer of beans and peppers (to bulk up the meal),
* sprinkle with salt and freshly ground black pepper, and 1 heaped TBSP of dried basil, then
* the layer of baked eggplant slices, then
* a good dollop of tomato sauce on each slice of eggplant (I used another 3/4 C),
* and finally sprinkle 4 oz 2% milk reduced-fat shredded mozzarella cheese, over the whole thing
     ~ Place the whole dish in the oven and cook until golden brown - about 20 minutes.

Makes 4 servings
PPV per serving 5


No comments:

Post a Comment