Saturday, October 22, 2011

I Swear to Tell the Truth, the Whole Truth and Nothing BUT...

When you track, do you write it all down?  I'm the first to admit that when I was losing the bulk of my weight, I would count all my (in those days) POINTS until I reached my daily target, then I would simply stop counting and writing!

Now, due to the fact that I had a lot of weight to lose, additionally I was very very good about WHAT I put in my mouth and, I assume also, because I have (thank-goodness) never been a night-time nosher - it did not impact my weight loss as negatively as I see it impact some folks.

I learned at some point along the way - actually it was another member who said it to me - and you hear me say it often: "The tracker is not the food police!"  In fact the tracker is simply a list of what I have consumed through the course of the day and the week.

This upcoming week - make a pact with yourself - to write down every morsel.  You will hear successful members say it and so I repeat it here "Tracking Works".  So make that your mantra this week "Tracking Works".  Keep saying it to convince yourself and see what happens when you do...

Oh, and don't forget to come to a meeting so that you can weigh-in and see what a difference it makes!
.
Halloween
I thought you might like some information about sugar and it's impact on weight management.  Thinking has changed in recent years and this is the latest....
Old thinking: Eating sugar cause weight gain.
New thinking: Weight loss is about calories in vs. calories out, so eating eating sweets at a level that can take you over your PointsPlus budget--causing you to exceed both your daily PointsPlus Target and your weekly PointsPlus allowance--can add pounds.  What's more, sweets are not particularly satisfying (the're not a "Power Food"), so after eating them, you're likely to reach for more food--thus taking in more calories.

Old thinkingThe only way to tame a raging sweet tooth is to go cold turkey.
New thinking: Deprivation may not work because it can backfire, leading to episodes of overeating. A better strategy is to plan for treats so you can have small indulgences and still remain within your PointsPlus value budget.

Old thinkingA treat is a treat is a treat—every-one is junky (and delicious).
New thinking: It’s possible to get a sweet fix from foods that are satisfying and have some nutritional value. For example, fat-free chocolate syrup drizzled on a peach or a frozen banana will stave off hunger far longer than will a handful of gummy worms. And the fruit-and-chocolate treat delivers vitamins and minerals, too.

"We are indeed much more than what we eat, but what we eat can nevertheless help us to be much more than we are." ~Adelle Davis

Here is a fun little piece...

14 Things to Do With... Greek Yogurt
(and I don't mean take a bath with it - unless you're Cleopatra)!

Don't relegate this creamy treat to the breakfast table.

Here's a bevy of uses for this delicious and versatile ingredient.

Sure, it’s good as a breakfast food. But Greek yogurt, with more protein and richness than other yogurt varieties, is great for way more than just making a parfait.

Here, www.WeightWatchers.com staffers share their favorite uses for the versatile ingredient.

1.           Add chopped cucumbers, dill and a pinch of salt for a quick Greek tsatziki.
2.          Instead of milk or sweetened yogurts, toss some in your smoothie for a thicker texture.
3.          Try it as an alternative to heavy cream when making Alfredo sauce for pasta.
4.          Mix with chocolate syrup for an easy fruit dip for a party platter.
5.          Add a pinch of salt for a rich substitute for sour cream.
6.          Stir in to a puréed vegetable soup to add thickness and protein.
7.          For a simple frozen yogurt, add chopped fruit and sweetener and put it in the freezer.
8.          Use it instead of mayo in chicken, tuna and egg salad to drastically cut down on PointsPlus values.
9.          For a quick dessert, stir in light jam, raspberries, raisins, cinnamon or shredded coconut.
10.        Use it as a frosting for cake or cupcakes. Just add vanilla or almond extract and a bit of sweetener.
11.        Add spices and a bit of milk for a quick, guilt-free, creamy salad dressing.
12.        Try as a pre-grill marinade for chicken or lamb: a bit of yogurt, za’atar, lemon zest, pepper flakes and a pinch of salt.
13.        Add horseradish to make a fish or shrimp dip.
14.        Mix it with skim milk and use instead of buttermilk for pancakes.

Sign Up as a "Follower" of my blog so that you don't miss Wednesday's Recipe Post "Moroccan Slow Cooker Stew" and others...


Have a wonderful weekend - see you in a meeting

No comments:

Post a Comment