Sunday, June 17, 2012

Fingers Crossed?

1 Week in the Life of a Weight Watchers Member
Author Unknown

Day 1 (right after weigh in)
Oh boy, that piece of cake I saved is near.  One big slice, I have no fear.
Besides, no pounds will ever show, I’ve got seven whole days to go.
Day 2
A day of shopping at the mall and a burger special – cheese, mayo and all.
I’ll walk it off and get in gear.  Six days to go, no weigh-in near!
Day 3
I think I’ll skip my tuna lunch, a Reuben Sandwich is what I’ll munch.
With maybe a shake and chips, you know?  Beside, I’ve got five days to go!
Day 4
For breakfast one egg, toast and juice.  Kids left their pancakes.  Oh!  What’s the use?
These days wasting food is such a sin, and it’s still four days until I weigh in.
Day 5
Boy, the weekend is really rough.  Restaurant menus are very tough!
I’ll work off this steak, no problem here.  In just three days I’ll be in the clear?
Day 6
Breakfast….I’ll just have coffee today.  Maybe I’ll lose some that way!
Supper…I’m starving- I’ll eat a whale.  Two more days till I step on that scale.
Day 7
Now my nerves are really a wreck.  I might as well eat. Oh! What the heck!
I’ll drink tons of water and walk all night.  One day to go – I’ll be alright
Weigh in day
I polished off the pizza as a snack today.  But followed it with two bowls of Special K!
I gained two pounds – can you believe?  Maybe it is the Milky Way I’ve got up my sleeve.
Really, Weight Watchers works if you just take it slow; I guess I didn't have seven days to go!
Fingers Crossed or
Plan to Succeed?
Small, time saving measures can make the difference between "Fingers Crossed" or "Success".  Over the years I've developed some helpful habits that I'd like to share with you.  They've become second nature to me now and some of them may work for you too:

Several Days of Dinner Planning:
I plan at least 3 dinner meals ahead of time, they're quick and easy, such as salad with a protein i.e. grilled chicken, steak tips or shrimp.
Some other dinners that I plan ahead are:
   ~  "Weight Watchers Meatloaf" (recipe below) with steamed veggies, salad or served in a sandwich thin with salsa garnish.  (And, in my house, since I only cook for two, there are leftovers that make great cold sandwiches for lunch)
   ~  "Omelet"; 2 eggs and with some precooked veggies, asparagus, spinach, mushrooms and some cheese or other protein make a filling and delicious supper that is quick, easy, satisfying and low in PointsPlus Values.
   ~  "Burger and Fries"; I make baked French fries made from a medium baking potato, cut into fries and sprayed with olive oil spray (bake on a cookie sheet at 450 deg for about 30-35 minutes) and a grilled frozen veggie burger, such as Boca, Morningstar or Dr. Praegers.  Again, my sandwich thins make an ideal bun for the burger.

Recipe for Salsa Meatloaf:
Serves 5 - 5 PPV per slice
1 LB 93/7 Hamburger Meat (if you can't get 93% lean, use the leanest you can find - you can also mix beef and turkey together)
1 full cup of Salsa of your choice
1/3 Cup of Oatmeal - regular cooking not quick cook or instant
Mix the ingredients together and pack into a loaf pan.  Cook in a 375 deg oven for 45-55 minutes.  You'll know when it's ready when it's shrunken away from the sides of the loaf pan.   Turn out of the pan and slice into 5 slices.

Shopping for Food:
When shopping for fruit and veggies, I buy sufficient for the week and buy some ripe and some that needs to sit out for a time to ripen, that will make sure we'll have "perfect" fruit and veggies all week.

Keep your Fridge in Order:
If you know where everything is in your fridge and what their PPV are, it makes reaching in and finding appropriate snacks, meals and extra's easy.  My fridge isn't perfect, but the yogurts, tubs of cottage cheese and deli items are always in the same place in the fridge so, not only can I reach in with ease, I also know how many I have and whether I need to add them to my shopping list.

Pack your Bag at Night:
I habitually pack my lunch/snack bag the night before to take with me the next day - without fail my bag contains an fruit for morning snack, my lunchtime sandwich with some chopped raw veggies (I make baggies of these on a Sunday for the whole week) for crunch, a cheese snack of some kind (4oz tub of cottage cheese, a light Mini-Baby Bel, a wedge of Laughing Cow or WW spreadable cheese, a mini brie round from Trader Joes or, when I can find them, a Cabot "snack size" habenero cheese bar - they're yummy)!

Water Water Everywhere:
Just before going to bed at night, I place a bottle of water that is 3/4 full into the freezer to make a bottle of ice (leave the cap off) and then in the morning, I fill up the rest of the bottle with tap water and cap it.  That makes an ideal ice-pack for my lunch and allows me to have access to cold water through the day.

Dress for Success:
Over the years I have weeded the "schlubby" clothes out of my closet (particularly the shapeless smocks and shifts, the dull colors and most elasticated waists) and now I only buy things that make me feel special when I wear them.  They don't have to be expensive, just look it... :)  I always feel like sticking with it and staying on track when I feel "dressed for success".  They say - "Don't dress for who you are now, dress for who you want to be"!

YOUR BEFORE PICTURE:
This week, bring your before picture with you to the meeting.  I thought it would be a great idea to put what we like to eat context with our journey.  The topic for the week is "Eat What You Like" ... and the real question is ... "Is it worth it"?
You've seen it before, but here's one of mine :)
Prepare for this meeting:
Think back to a time when you tracked a food you ate and then thought, “I can’t believe I spent that many PointsPlus Values on (________) . I could have had (_________) !"  How do you feel when you "waste" PointsPlus Values on foods you really didn't enjoy?

Finally - please don't come hungry this week or be sure to bring a snack with you to the meeting so that the talk of food doesn't send you to the nearest "food-court" :)


BEAT FITNESS FATIGUE WITH "HALFWAY DAY"

Weight Watchers "Live Life Active" challenge is in full swing and by you are about halfway to helping build long-term healthy habits around activity! We've come up with a great idea to keep you motivated to move and finish out the last few weeks strong!

On Saturday June 23rd, we'll be hosting our official Weight Watchers® LiveLifeActive™ "Halfway Day", a day to get your exercise on and maybe add a few new moves to your fitness arsenal!   Starting at 9 am EST, we'll be streaming four workout segments from the PointsPlus® Fitness series with Jennifer Cohen DVDs (details of the DVD are below) on the Weight Watchers Facebook page.

You can tune in and participate in fitness routines like strength training, boot camp and yoga from the comfort of your living room. There will be workouts available for every level of fitness, from beginner to advanced.  It's a great opportunity to try workout routines from the PointsPlus Fitness series, more information is below.  If you like it, you can purchase DVDs in your meeting room, currently on sale for $5 off!

Also on Halfway Day, certified fitness instructor (and DVD host) Jennifer Cohen will be chatting live with Weight Watchers Facebook fans at noon EST answering fitness questions and giving workout tips for how to stay active.

It’s going to be a fun day dedicated to activity, connection, and health! We hope you participate in the fun.  To learn more, go to the LiveLifeActive tab on Facebook.


PointsPlus® Fitness series with Jennifer Cohen 
This workout DVD series was specifically created for Weight Watchers members. These 5 DVDs contain easy-to-follow routines for every fitness level! Each DVD has a 10-minute Beginner Workout, 15 minute Express Workout and Full-length Workout. There are so many options, you’ll never get bored!

POINTSPLUS® FITNESS SERIES INCLUDES 
Disc 1 – Total Body Cardio Stretch 
Disc 2 – Upper body Boot Camp 
Disc 3 – Lower Body Interval Training
Disc 4 – Core Cardio 
Disc 5 – Cardio Basic

And Finally:
"Some people say that I have an attitude-- Maybe I do. But I think that you have to. You have to believe in yourself when no one else does-- that makes you a winner right there"   Venus Williams

No comments:

Post a Comment