Sunday, August 19, 2012

Human Drivers. What drives you?

This is an essay that's been in my head for many years.  I share it with you now as a concept; it's unreasearched, not tried and tested, just a notion that I have had rolling around my head based on my observations!

I believe there are only THREE human drivers:
  • Fear
  • Love
  • Money
Think about what drives you in your in all the areas of your life.  Think about what a mother's love would allow that mother to do for her child.  Think about the compelling nature of fear.  Give some thought to how human nature is driven by money. The three drivers, I believe, work both ways; positively and negatively.

So what does all this have to do with our weight management?  Well, it occurs to me that we can use these theories to motivate us!  Take some time to identify your feelings, acknowledge them and then allow yourself to use them to help your efforts.  Although I believe all three drive us - to keep this at a readable length, lets take "fear".

Members tell me that if a doctor has unequivocally told them to lose weight "or else....", that's a pretty compelling, on the other hand, fear of changing our lives/modus opperandi or our relationship with food and beverages can freeze our efforts and prevent us from making the changes necessary to be as successful as we'd like to be.

In my own life, I fear an old age being dependent upon others to help me with my day to day living, so, given that, I am determined to be as healthy as possible and to continue to work on my health while I am able to make the changes for long term health, to prevent dependency.  On the other hand, I fear letting others down, so taking time to work on my own health could potentially prevent me from "being there" when someone else needs me.  I have to "see that" in my head, acknowledge it and understand that, whilst true, it's a "silly" thought.  I know that the truth is, that no one, who is sane, would be angry at me if I was acting in a responsible manner.  That means that particular fear of mine, seen in the light of day, can be summarily dismissed, and yet it lingers.

How about this - I believe we say "I can't" when what we really mean, I fear that change too much.  Take exercise, for instance.  "I can't do it because I am too busy" may mean, "I am frightened of looking silly", or "I'm frightened of making a fool of myself because I am uncoordinated", or "I fear injuring myself" and even "the fear of success".  Having the wherewithal to understand that, acknowledge it and still make the change leads to a wonderful feeling of conquering that fear.

Be brave; give it a try!

And Finally:


“Fear less, hope more; Eat less, chew more; Whine less, breathe more; Talk less, say more; Love more, and all good things will be yours”

Swedish proverb
See you in your meeting this week...
...It's a date!

No comments:

Post a Comment