Sunday, March 17, 2013

A Personal Battle

It is no secret that I struggle with including exercise in my day to day routine.  

I am forever hopeful that one day I'll be that person that says "I never owned sneakers and now I'm training for the Boston Marathon"!  Ha!  Even typing those words is amusing me right now  :-/  

I was chatting with a (Weight Watchers) pal last night and we kinda agreed that it sorta makes a difference with weight management if we did include some activity... notice the reticence?  I wanted to remind myself of the benefits if I began to get back to the Y to do something.  Not just with my weight, but my overall health and good feelings.

I found this article on the Weight Watchers website in the Science Center.


Weight Benefits of Exercise

Physical activity promotes weight loss and is a key factor for keeping the weight off.1 To maximize these weight benefits, it's important to understand how different types of activity are beneficial for different components of weight management.


Activity TypeActivityCalories Burned Per 30 Minutes of Activity
  150 lbs200 lbs250 lbs
AerobicSwimming, backstroke340 kcals460 kcals570 kcals
AerobicJogging, 5mph (12 min/mile)280 kcals370 kcals460 kcals
AerobicBicycling, 9.4 mph200 kcals270 kcals340 kcals
AerobicWalking, 4 mph (15 min/mile)200 kcals260 kcals330 kcals
ResistanceStrength Training (e.g. free weights)100 kcals140 kcals170 kcals
FlexibilityStretching80 kcals110 kcals140 kcals

Weight Benefits of Aerobic Exercise
Aerobic activities (e.g. walking, jogging, swimming) are the best option for burning the most calories per exercise session, which is helpful for losing and maintaining weight loss. Plus, the extra calories burned with regular aerobic exercise can make the difference between a diet that feels depriving and one that is satisfying and sustainable over the long term.

Weight Benefits of Resistance Exercise
While resistance exercises (e.g. lifting weights) do not burn many calories per exercise session, during weight loss they are the most effective way to preserve lean muscle mass. Preserving muscle is important because it burns a lot more calories compared to fat. Once the desired weight goal is achieved, regular strength training can build muscle and increase resting metabolism over time. Resistance training has also been shown to prevent the loss in lean body mass that is seen as one ages. 2

Flexibility exercises (e.g. stretching) are an important component of an exercise routine. They help prevent injury and improve performance, but burn few calories and do not have major weight benefits.

This content is reviewed regularly. Last updated December 17, 2011.
Footnotes
1 Wing RR, Phelan S. Long-term weight loss maintenance. Am J Clin Nutr. 2005 Jul;82(1 Suppl):222S-225S.
2 Guo SS, Zeller C, Chumlea WC, Siervogel RM. Aging, body composition, and lifestyle: the Fels Longitudinal Study. Am J Clin Nutr. 1999 Sep;70(3):405-11.


If you're like me and think of exercise as something the "other people" do,  will you join me in trying to have a more active spring?  I'm challenging myself to earn the basic 14 PPV every week for the next 6 weeks.  I'll get back to walking for at least 20 minutes a day.  I've decided that the key is going to be to TRACK how much and when I walk.  


Your Weight Watchers Meeting Room:

March's Routine: 
After each meal or snack, decide how many PointsPlus® values you'll use for your next meal.

What does that actually mean?  Here are 2 examples that I heard this week from members...

"When I tried setting aside a specific number of my daily points for dinner (9).  I found that I could really focus on the rest of the day and eat sensibly.  I found that the whole 26 seemed overwhelming, but breaking it down into 2 parts helped me to manage the points".    Is that something you could consider?

"I tried thinking ahead to the next meal, specifically dinner, it made a noticeable difference to my 4-5pm low point of the day eating because I discovered that I was looking forward to the meal that was planned.   I found that I didn't want to have to compromise what I was going to eat later, including a piece of chocolate at the end of dinner".

The topic of the week was "Planning Ahead for Eating Out"  At some meetings we discussed the following challenge:  "Set aside a specific number of PointsPlus Values for a meal at a restaurant (you get to decide the number of PPV).  Plan ahead by checking the menu before you get there and decide how you'll order and fit into the meal into the PPV you've allocated to the meal.  Don't forget to account for the bread, beverages and other accessories.  Good Luck!

Last week of the...

Mini Bars $4.95 per box (regularly $7.50)
Smoothies $4.95 per box (regularly $7.50)
Oatmeal $4.95 per box (regularly $5.95)
Shop + Eat Out bundle—Buy both for $20 (regularly $11.95 each) 

Finally!

"as you slide down the bannister of life, may the splinters never point in the wrong direction!"  Anonymous





No comments:

Post a Comment