Saturday, November 19, 2011

Thanksgiving; Parties & Food, Food, Food!


Parties, family gatherings, gifts, and food, food, food; what a special time of year this is! 
To help you through the season, (and this NEXT WEEK) I wanted to bring you some tips directly from the experts at Weight Watchers:

#1 Don’t starve
Arriving at the party famished could lead to overdoing it, so eat a healthy meal or snack beforehand, leaving just enough room (and PointsPlus values) for a few small treats.

#2 Drink!
But make it water or other low-calorie beverage – you’ll slow down your eating and help fill yourself up. And limit your alcohol intake – it’s not only a major source of calories and POINTS values, it can weaken your ability to stick to your eating plan.

#3 Know what you eat
Just because it’s the holidays, don’t forget all the weight management skills you’ve acquired. Even if you choose to indulge, keep journaling. By writing down what you’re eating you’re less apt to eat mindlessly.

#4 Don’t deprive yourself
But do limit your portions. By eating small portions of only things you really want you’ll enjoy the specialties while staying on track.

#5 Set priorities
Rate each dish on the buffet from 1 to10, with “10” being the best choices for you and “1” being foods you know you should limit or avoid. Fill your plate with the high numbers and only try a minimal amount (or none!) of the others.

#6 Move!
Reduce sedentary behavior like surfing the net and gradually work up to 60 minutes of exercise on most days of the week. It will help in your weight-loss efforts or allow you to eat a bit more without guilt.  (Editor's note:  for folks like me who go "Arrggghhhh" when we see that; remember that doing SOME is far better than doing NONE!)

#7 Be realistic
Losing weight during the holiday season might not be the most practical objective for you right now. Allow your goal during the holidays to be maintaining your weight, not weight loss. Then, once the holidays are over you can get right back to losing.

(and one from me)  #8 Don't go it alone
Whether your buddy is right there at the dinner table with you or across the country have an accountability partner and act as a role model - you'll be thrilled with the difference that will make to your choices!


Sticking with the theme of Holidays: In the meeting room this week we are going to try and de-stress.   (Or even better, avoid it happening at all).
Weight Watchers and I have tools for you; come and find out more...
Research shows that members who keep on attending their meetings through the holidays are far less likely to gain so much weight that it derails their long term efforts.  Going it alone, on the other hand, is like walking the tightrope without a safety net!  Time and resources are always stretched for these last few weeks of the year - spend some of them on yourself and be proud that you're taking care of the most important person you know!


Newsy Stuff:
You asked for them and they're comin' ...
This is how it was described upon launch a few months ago: 

Get produce passionate with our 175 delicious recipes!
Finally! A go-to glossary of 50 fruits and vegetables to keep you satisfied.
“Lettuce” introduce you to more eating variety with  Fruits & Veggies A-Z, featuring everything you need to know—including nutritional highlights, buying tips, and garden-fresh insider information—about 50 mouthwatering fruits and vegetables. Spice up your ho-hum meal routine while exploring delicious new ingredients like jicama, kale, and pomegranates. You’ll also get the skinny on all-time favorites like apples, oranges, cucumbers, asparagus, and strawberries. Plus, we’ll help you “beet” the blahs with our bonus chapter featuring scrumptious Super Salads.

Priced at $9.95 - look out for it as a wonderful Holiday gift for your favorite Weight Watcher!

Finally - as we move into the "Silly Season"  I wanted to highlight a success story from the Weight Watchers Website.
Meet Susan:
I'm an Inspiration!

Name:  Susan
Age:  48
Height:  5'7"
Was:  198.2 lbs
Lost 41.6 lbs
Weight:  51.6 lbs
As of: 4/16/2008
"Daily movement is the key to maintaining weight loss, but it's no longer my excuse to eat anything I want."
Susan lost weight with a prior Weight Watchers program

Susan used to read Weight Watchers success stories online and think of the women as everyday heroes. Now she's one, too!


When I hit my 30s and 40s, I was frustrated with the fluctuations in my weight. I spent a small fortune on different diets and eating plans, and every single New Year's resolution I made was to lose weight. Finally, at 45 years old, I said, "It's now or never!" I wanted to spend the second half of my life healthy and fit.
Daily diligence
When I joined Weight Watchers meetings and started following the POINTS® Weight-Loss System, I never let myself feel "safe" when I lost weight because of my history with losing and gaining. I kept a journal every day and really stuck to the plan. Before Weight Watchers, I would exercise a little and use that as my excuse to dine out several times a week. Now I just choose healthier restaurants and watch my portions.

And even though I had always been a walker, I knew I needed to add something to my fitness routine. Now a YMCA member, I attend Body Sculpting class three times a week for the weights, push-ups and stomach crunches, which really help define my body. Daily movement is the key to maintaining weight loss, but it's no longer my excuse to eat anything I want.
I deserve it! 
I have always enjoyed WeightWatchers.com, especially for the Success Stories. My heroes tend to be ordinary people who have done extraordinary things; so many of them 
can be found on the site. When I was asked to do a photo shoot in New York City, I screamed! I felt so pampered and special at the shoot. Afterwards we went to Little Italy for dinner and walked through the city.
A shining moment
I have done so many things in my life that I'm proud of — getting married, having my son, earning bachelor's and master's degrees — but one of my proudest achievements was receiving my Weight Watchers gold key for Lifetime Membership. That is a moment that I will never forget!



Susan's Tips:
  • Make a point of doing "mini" workouts throughout the day — stretching, parking far away from the store, taking the stairs, lifting grocery bags, etc.
  • If you really want something, enjoy it in moderation. Don't feel guilty and beat yourself up about it. After all, if you really want that piece of chocolate cake, baby carrots are just not going to cut it!
  • If you go completely off the plan for a day, a week, or even a month, don't give up. Attend a meeting, weigh in (no matter how bad it might be) and start over!
  • Set small goals and think of little gifts to give yourself. A book, item of clothing or piece of jewelry can go a long way in keeping you motivated.
  • Nights are difficult for me but if I brush and floss my teeth, I am less likely to eat and spoil that nice clean feeling!
  • Buy yourself a special notebook. Write down everything you eat, what you did for exercise, how you feel. Think of it as a personal journey journal

Come back to the blog on Wednesday for my weekly recipe 
Have a WONDERFUL TURKEY DAY.




No comments:

Post a Comment