Sunday, January 8, 2012

No New Year's Resolutions Allowed Here

I have no intention of making a NY's Resolution for this year (I haven't for many years) because one of the things that I have learned on my weight journey is that it's small, specific, reasonable goals that are attainable and that they all add up to give big results.

So each week I set myself a specific, small goal.  Sometimes it's a number that I have to reach, sometimes it's a behavior that I want to stick to for the week.  Sometimes the goals are for a longer period of time; in December (last month), I set myself the goal of not gaining anything over the course of the month by doing some pretty specific actions.
1. I was to eat on target all week - no exceptions, so that when I attended weekend events, I went into them having had a great week.  That helped me to stay closer to on track at the event so as not to undo the good work.
2.  Make hearty and nutritious meals / soups on the weekend so that I had some great WW friendly tupperware dishes full of goodness waiting for me in the fridge.  No takeout - no need :)
3.  Move more - even just an extra 10 minutes each day.
4.  Take sweet treats with thought, if it's not the very best quality - phoooey, not worth the points!

And I am delighted to report that I came out of it okay - I did gain a bit on New Year's eve, but, as I am writing this blog I am back in my happy place :)



So are you wondering why I am sharing this much information?  
~ I want you to know that I am also a Weight Watchers Member.  I, too, am prone to bouts of struggling with food and behaviors and I have to work at it all the time.  I want you to know that I have to figure out strategies for myself and I have to bargain with my previously "overweight me" often to stick with it.  I suspect we are not too different that way.
~I also want you to know that Weight Watchers offers us an opportunity to alter  the relationship we have with ourselves, to grow and change and to be proud of ourselves.  Sometimes it's the darndest things that make me smile... like winning my bet with myself ... what about you?

Now what?  
I have to set a new goal for myself for the coming day /days /week /weeks /month and I have done so, hopefully you can also ...  If you were in the meeting this week.  I asked you to set a NUMBER goal for Valentine's Day - for 6 weeks away and then to work with small changes to achieve your goal.

So if I didn't see you this week - here is what I suggest:
(a)  Make a decision as to what you'd like to weigh by the week of Valentines.  
(b)  Decide what small changes you can make to focus on weight loss - e.g. Cut the pasta serving by 1/4 each time, change from 2% milk products to fat free, no elevator rides, an extra serving of vegetables instead of carbohydrates at dinner.  These come from other members, make your own; keep them simple and make a pact with yourself to keep doing it, no matter what happens for a FULL 6 WEEKS.
(c)  Do anything practical you need to do to ACTION the change; buy a new battery for your pedometer, make sure the fridge is cleaned out in readiness for the new veggies and fruits you are going to be purchasing, speak to the family and let them know your plans - especially the person who'se responsible for the cooking if it's not you.
(d)  At the end of 6 weeks I hope these behaviors become your NEW NORMAL.  In other words, this will become your new Lifestyle.

This is worth repeating from a previous post :
NEWS FROM WEIGHT WATCHERS
BARCODE SCANNER AP
Ready, Set, Scan!
The barcode scanner, now available for both iPhone and Android, provides accurate PointsPlus® values for thousands of products which can be tracked directly from scanning a product’s barcode — no manual data entry into the Tracker is needed! Scan any food you like, even if it’s one we don’t have in our database — you can easily add the food to your Favorites list or directly into a mealtime in your Food Tracker. 

Additionally, the new barcode scanner app can compare multiple scanned products — a really useful feature when it comes to meal planning and creating shopping lists.  
To download this beauty, look for Weight Watchers Barcode Scanner in the App Store or the Android Market. This product is free for all iOS and Android smartphone users who have a Weight Watchers Online or eTools account with us.
So, what are you waiting for? Head to the grocery store and start scanning all of your holiday food items before you purchase to make sure they are PointsPlus values-friendly.
A few housekeeping items:
1)       It’s best if your Weight Watchers Mobile app is the latest version (iOS v1.7, Android v1.1), it’ll play nicely with the barcode scanner
2)       All items will be tracked as "user-created foods" and will display with the blue flag next to them in your PointsPlus Food Tracker.
3)       The barcode scanner has a separate food database from the Plan Manager and Tracker apps, so only the foods you track or add to favorites from the Barcode Scanner app will be available in the PointsPlus Food Tracker.
4)       All Favorites created in the barcode app will be added to the Plan Manager and Tracker app favorites, BUT you will not see Plan Manager or Tracker app favorites in the barcode scanner app.  Also, deleting favorites from the barcode scanner app will not delete it from your Plan Manger or Tracker app.

NEW PRODUCTS TO LOOK OUT FOR IN THE MEETING ROOM
10-Minute Time Crunch Training Fitness Kit  $24.95
10-Minute Time Crunch Training is designed to fit into your busy schedule. We put together five effective 10-minute exercise segments that when taken together, work your total body. You can do one workout at a time, or mix and match them to fit your goals for the day. Each routine features beginner and advanced options to modify the movements—making it perfect for any level of fitness.
PRODUCT HIGHLIGHTS
• Mix and match your workouts with 10-minute segments:
– Upper Body 
– Lower Body 
– Total Body 
– Core
– Interval Training 
• Perfect for any level of fitness!


NEW 2012 Ultimate 3 Month Tracker   $5.95
Tracking is a key to success on the Weight Watchers program. Track everything in this journal—from the food you eat, to your hunger, to your activity—so you can see what works for you and what doesn't.

2 NEW flavors to add to the already popular line of favorites - both are 2 PointsPlus Value per item.

Praline Nut Cluster Mini Bars:
A luscious praline confection with peanuts, caramel and a yogurt drizzle — could you ask for anything more?  The peanut flavor definitely shines through.  This is the bar for anyone who doesn't love chocolate, but wants something sweet and crunchy.
12 Bars per Box $7.50.

Popped Zesty Cheese Crisps:
A crunch chip made with whole grains that balances all natural seasonings and a zesty flavor combo of cheddar and feta.  I don't know another chip on the market that delivers a cheesy taste as pronounced as this one without the high calorie price to go with it!
5 Bags per Box $4.95.



One Last Thing:
Yummy Deliciousness:
One day last week, I, unexpectedly, needed to purchase something for lunch... I pondered as to what I should get -not wanting to blow my points for the day.  Finally I drove to Trader Joes - hmmm --- I had not tried their Egg White Salad before and to my surprise it was only 1 PPV per serving, there are 2 servings in the container for 3 PPV - let me just say --- soooooo worth it!

See you in your meeting this week - and come back to the blog on Wednesday for a super recipe.


No comments:

Post a Comment